The name of Dallas Mavericks reflects Texas cowboy past maverick is rebellious person who refuses to obey social norms(规范)
The ablility to keep calm in a dangerous or critical situation is onr of her many strengths(优势)
You must not take her criticisms of your plan personally（个人） Actually what she said does make sense to us all
We need to look fot ways to make things safer ,but we shouldn’t dismiss（辞退） anidea because it isn’t 100% safe
He isn’t going to shift (推卸)his responsibility to anyone
else ,Instead he is going to handle the problem himself
他不打算把责任推卸给别人，相反的他打算如何来解决这个问题 The only real security that a man will have in this world is a
reserve(存储)ofknowledge experience and ability
Some of my friends are experts in this regard .from them you can
seek professional(专业) advice on the issue
The objective(目的) of college education is to provide the young with an opportunity to learn how to educate themselves throughout their lives
Being competent (主管) means being more successful or better than somebody else who is trying to do the same as you
作为主管意味着要比别人同样事情你做要得更成功或更高 At 15,he left his hometown to look for employment(就业) in the city because he had to support the whole family
A firm belief in yourself is all that is needed to alter (改变)your life no one except you alone can change it
在自己坚定的信念是所有需要改变你的生活只有你能改变它 The TOEEL is designed to assess(评定) the English proficiency for those who intend to study abroad
Building a healthy and productive(生产) workplace relationship is the key to improving productivity
建立一个健康的和富有成效的工作关系是提高生产力的关键 Since it is valid(有效的) to ask for sick leave ,he often uses it as an excuse for staying away from school
The villagers are not merely(仅仅) satisfied with enough food to eat they are also eager to learn modern advanced skills for farming村民们不仅仅满足于足够的食物他们也渴望学习现代先进农业技能
After making some conventional(传统的) opening remarks ,she made an inspiring speech on environment protection
This report is written from the viewpoint(观点) of a psychologist and it provides some deep insights into the outlook and expectations of today’s young people in our country
People differ(不同) from one another in their ability to handle stre人们从一个不同的处理压力的能力
If you have any questions ,please feel free(随时) to ask me
You must keep some money in reserve(储备) because you may need if for some unexpected expensen
你必须把一些备用的钱因为你如果需要一些意外支出费用 To his credit(值得赞扬) he won the first place in the 1000 meter race in spite of his illness
In view of (鉴于)the late hour ,we’ll have to put off that discussion until our next meeting
I wish you were here now ,so that I might thank you in person(亲自)
Since what he says sounds logical I’d like to take up(接受) his suggestion and drop my own
He is a man of creative thinking and hates to follow the herd(随波逐流) in everything he does
We must assess(评估) each plan with fairneand on its merits，not according to our personal preference
我们必须评估每个方案的利弊与公平,不是根据我们的个人偏好 Be flexible and you won’t be taken by surprise when something in your life take an unexpected turn
She became the first black woman to be elected(当选) to the
position of chairman of the board
Their experiment stretched(延长) of ten years, at last, their efforts paid off.
Communication is the only remedy(补救) conflict within the family 沟通是解决家庭内的冲突唯一的补救办法
You had better confine(局限于) your summary to the main idea; do not try to talker about the trivial things
A lot of children are near-sight, we cannot emphasize(emphasize) the importance of protecting our eyes too munch.
很多孩子近视了，我们再怎么强调保护眼睛的重要也要重复。 Thank you for your kind help- I think I owe(欠) you’re a favour 谢谢你的帮助，我觉得我欠你一个人情
when he sleeps by the window on hot summer afternoons, he tends to lower (较低的) the curtain to keep out the sun.
Joseph did give me a quick reply this time, but I wonder why he made no response(相应) to my last question
History will reveal(揭露) the truth in the future and they will realize what a wrong thing they did
It is hard to picture him as a government official because he looks so funny, but I bet he makes a good one
.Men should open up their minks and adopt a correct attitude
Since all of us were tired, Martin proposed that we take a short rest before continuing our work
既然我们都累了，马丁提出再继续我们的工作我们休息一会儿 Seeing a big snake under the table, Sophia could not trembling from head to foot
A smart appearance tends to make a favourable(有利于)impression at an interview.
.The scientist failed in his experiments many a time, but he was
never discouraged(气馁) ;instead, he stuck it out and finally make a
great scientific discovery.
When I asked my mother if I could marry George, she consented(同意) but rather unwillingly.
当我问妈妈我是否能和乔治结婚，她同意了但很不情愿地。 The garden has fallen into a state of neglect(忽视) since its owner died two years ago.
Coming home late, the boy crept(爬) quietly into the home to avoid waking his parents.
If you want to learn a language well , sufficient(足够) time is necessary.
The origin of Chinese writing can be traced(追溯) back to ancient Chine although we are not certain of the date of its invention.
The price was somewhat(有些) higher then I had expected,
However, it was still acceptable.
When you feel tied, a rest and a cool drink will refresh(刷新) you
As I sit here today, I could not be more grateful for the opportunity, not only to be alive, but also to apply my life to such a(n) worthy(值得) effort.
More and more people in big companies are enrolling in English courses to improve their promotion prospects(前景).
在大公司中越来越多的人参加英语课程来提高他们的晋升前景。 At the end of the interview, she remarked(说) “You have proved your worthinemore then well enough
I hope that I shall never again have to undergo(经过) such a terrible experience
Susan started singing to her baby and was rewarded(奖励) with a smile.
since the summer vacation has started ,let's pack up(收拾) and spend aweek in the country with my grandparents
the boy is so interested in the popular novel entitled harry porter and
the deathly hallows that he has read it for many a(许多) time
这男孩对哈利波特与死亡圣器很感兴趣，他已经过了很多次了。 i admin Steve very much for in very much for in his pursuit of a successful life he always stay the course（坚持到底）and never gives up in spite of the many
i mailed out 250 letters to complete strangers for help and within 6 weeks the stream of money came flood in(涌进) from all over the country
when searching for some news online last night i come across(偶遇) interesting website devoted to computer games
he is so clever that the can always come up with(想出) solutions at the last moment
at the sight of the big fish the fisherman plunge his hands into(把..放入)
the water and caught it with graceful ease
Rosa was single out(单) praise by the teacher because her art project was so creative
the Chinese people love peace long for(渴望) peace and are ready to fight for peace
Rebecca told us most of the story but keep back(保持背部) the bit about herself because she didn't want to make her good deed known 丽贝卡的关税，美国必须保持这个故事是关于自己的后位，因为她不想让她知道好的行为
the local people tell me it is all but(几乎) impossible to climb up to the top of the snowy mountain
Marilyn Monroe went to Hollywood in search of(在寻找) fame and fortune
in heaven let us be two birds flying ever together and on earth(在地) two trees with branches interlocked forever
last but not least i would like to thank all of you and in
particular(特别是) the chairman Dr rogers for his full support over the last three years
Oliver is a respected engineer manager and teacher but first and foremost(首先) he is a kind father and loving husband which is something he takes great pride in
when he took in(在) what was happening and realized something was wrong he decided to get away quickly
当他发生了什么事，意识到一些事情错了，他决定马上离开 As he grew and matured(成熟) he was asked to take on a wide variety of responsibilities
I feel bored with the history cladates and battles and all that stuff(的东西)
a good attitude to life helps to turn failure into succeand
convert(转变) misery into happiness
一个好的生活态度，有助于把失败变为成功的转换成幸福和痛苦 in the heavy traffic a luxurious classic(经典) car attracted my
attention it turned out to be a Rolls Royce wedding car
being painfully aware of his own shortcoming(缺点) Peterson has
made up his mind to get rid of them
Some people believe that failure is the mother of succewhile others think nothing breed(生产) succelike success
pressure is an essential part of all work and helps to keep us
motivated but too much pressure can lead to stress(压力) which can make people ill
whether we can succeed or not depends on how well we can develop and maintain(保持) good relationships with our customers so in the long run it is worth the efforts we have made
that night he felt very lonely and had string impulse(冲动) to make a long distance call to his mother
to release your tension after a day's hard work sit quietly in a rel axed pose(姿势) breathe deeply and smoothly and then close your eyes
if no one claim(声称) the lost suitcase within a week then we will deliver it to the police station
with his deeds and worthinehe managed to create a identity(身份) for himself as a biologist in spite of his personal handicaps
in order to unlock your own creativity you need to tap(挖掘) into the sources of inspiration
everything happens for a reason but not everything is reasonable(合情合理)
during the past 10 years I've managed to graduate with honours(以优异的成绩毕业) from Yale university got my PhD and even published a book despite all the difficulties and obstacles
jane gets excited easily and she often fires her up(发火)about trivial things
I'm beginning to discover the truth about life if you want to live a
worthy life you must take it by the throat (将其进行到底)
you can make an excuse(找借口) for your mistake but the bomight not buy your story
as an 18 year old boy you have your whole life ahead of you it's time to take action(采取行动) if you want to make a change in your life 作为一个18岁的男孩，你人生的路你如果你想改变你的生活，是采取行动的时候了
pathe flower of kindneon and let it wipe another is tears.and in king (保持)that kindnewill flow for kindnegrows in this way the
peopel in that mountain village have proved to be so courageous in the face of(面对) adversity and disaster
I don't think i have a particularly good chance of getting the job but it is certainly worth try for(尝试，争取)
我不认为我有一个特别好的机会获得工作，但肯定是值得尝试的 despite her own sufferings she managed to nures brother through (细心照顾)serious tuberculosis
My neighbours are a friendly bunch(群) of people
Dave amaze(惊奇) his friends by leaving a well paid job to travel around the world
The employees in this company work an eight hour shift(换班)这家公司的员工每天工作八小时
The professor came to the classroom with a bundle(捆) of newspapers under his arm
A passenger asked the driver: “Could you drop(下车) me off near the post office? I’d like to post a letter
一个乘客问司机：“你能让我在邮局附近下车吗？我想寄一封信The little girl’s capacity (能力)for learning languages astonished me
How many countries will be participating(参与) in the Olympic Games?
I like the typically French style(风格) of living. It is so romantic 我喜欢生活的典型的法国风格。因为它的浪漫
They have made their fortunes from industry and commerce(商务) 他们从工商发财。
They threatened to shoot(射击) him and rob him of all his
In many cultures, the lion is the symbol(符号) of courage
Your help was greatly appreciated(欣赏) We are very grateful to you for it
It’s the first time the painting has been displayed(展示) to the public
During the exam, the naughty boy tried to slip(滑稽) a note to his classmate while the teacher wasn’t looking.
As the saying goes, conquer(征服) the desires, or they will
Before the dinner party, Mother has ordered a roast(烤肉) from the butcher
I didn’t wait for you at home because I figured(估计) that you wouldn’t come
In this painting, a single red rose stands in rich contrast to(形成对比) the grassland
在这幅画中，一朵红玫瑰矗立在绿色的草地说上形成鲜明的对比 The factory workers are exposed to(暴露) poisonous gases and many of them suffer from lung diseases
厂里的工人暴露在有毒气体下工作和因此许多人患肺部疾病 During the war, the soldier risked his life(冒着生命危险) helping others to escape
Do trust me. You can rely on(依靠) me to keep your secret
If you are attacked or robbed at knifepoint(在刀尖) , how would you react then?
She is such an extraordinary girl that she always stands out(站出来) in a crowd
Obviously, this foolish idea run contrary to(背道而驰) common sense
I was very tired and had to flag down(停下) a taxi in order to get home early
The mother picks/picked up(拿起) her children from the
kindergarten at 5:00 p.m. every day
The publishers took a gamble(下赌注) on an unknown author, and the books have sold well
The driver waved to us as he pull away(远移动)
The driver pull over(停下)to the side of the road to see what was wrong with his truck
Don’t just make a negative complaint about our service; give us some positive(积极的) advice
The noise of the car startled(大吃一惊) the birds and the whole flock flew up into the air
Viewed from an international perspective(透过) , it appears
absolutely essential to emphasize the importance of potential
customers’ needs in the developing countries
In this terrible job you have to harden(变硬) your heart to pain and suffering
We can have many choices in life and the choices that we make will shape(塑造) our life
Efforts should be made to address(和..说话) the communication problem existing between teenagers and their parents
That couple has endured so many emotional and financial crises(危机) . It is amazing that their marriage has lasted for so many years 那对夫妻已经经历了太多的情感和金融危机。令人吃惊的是，他们的婚姻持续了这么多年
Just before the speech contest (演讲比赛), he fell ill and was not able to participate in it; he could only curse(不幸诅咒) his luck
It is incredible(不可思议) that her four-year-old boy can write some 600 Chinese characters
You can add the liquid to the powder, or conversely(相反的), the powder to the liquid
The next big issue(问题) confronting the workers is the question of social security
I wrote to them a month ago but haven’t gotten a response(响应) yet
I shall have to refuse your invitation because of a prior(之前)
There used to be various kinds of birds here, but now they are
rare(罕见) due to lack of food resources
以前这里有各种鸟类，但现在他们是罕见的由于缺乏食物资源 Is it true that visualizing a task by positive thinking helps to
accomplish(完成) the task better
You may feel awkward when you start learning how to drive, but it’s easy once you get the hang of(上手) it
As one of those who have lived through(经历) two world wars, Uncle Sam understands the value of life far better than his
When you are learning driving a car, it makes a difference(有区别) whether you have a good teacher or not
当你在学习驾驶汽车，你是否有一个好的老师这是有很大的区别 He is so stubborn. We have no idea(不知道) how to persuade him to accept our proposal
他是如此的固执。我们不知道如何说服他接受我们的建议 Be more concerned with(关注) your character than your
reputation(名声), because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is just what others think you are
To our surprise, Mr. Thompson slipped over(溜过) an important point in his analysis — the cause and effect of the problem
To my pleasant surprise, I ran into(跑进) my best friend Helen in Paris last week
I hit the tree behind me when I put the car in reverse(在背面)
without looking back first
I’ll leave you alone here so you can mull over(仔细考虑) the problem and make a decision on your own
UNIT1Mr. Doherty Builds His Dream Life多尔蒂先生创建自己的理想生活1. And after years of frustration with city and suburban living, my wife Sandy and I have
finally found contentment here in the country.
2. In the summer we canoe on the river, go picnicking in the woods and take long bicycle
rides. In the winter we ski and skate.
3. Three months from now, it will be 95 above and we will be cultivating corn, weeding
strawberries and killing chickens.
4. Later this month, we'll spray the orchard, paint the barn, plant the garden and clean the
hen house before the new chicks arrive.
5. In between such chores, I manage to spend 50 to 60 hours a week at the typewriter or
doing reporting for the freelance articles I sell to magazines and newspapers.
6. There is, as the old saying goes, no rest for the wicked on a place like this -- and not
much for the virtuous either.
7. While one storm after another blasted huge drifts up against the house and barn, we
kept warm inside burning our own wood, eating our own apples and loving every minute of it.
8. Our freezer filled up with cherries, raspberries, strawberries, asparagus, peas, beans
and corn. Then our canned-goods shelves and cupboards began to grow with preserves, tomato juice, grape juice, plums, jams and jellies.
9. The answer, decidedly, was no, and so -- with my employer's blessings and half a
year's pay in accumulated benefits in my pocket -- off I went.
10. We've been able to make up the difference in income by cutting back without
appreciably lowering our standard of living.
11. The way to make self-sufficiency work on a small scale is to resist the temptation to
buy a tractor and other expensive laborsaving devices
12. Once economic conditions improve, however, demand for farms like ours should be
UNIT2The Freedom Givers给人以自由者
1. Alongside me was a slender woman in a black dress, my guide back to a time when the
surrounding settlement in Dresden, Ontario, was home to a hero in American history.我身边是一位苗条的黑衣女子，把我带回到过去的向导。那时，安大略省得雷斯顿这一带住着
2. "He was confident that the Creator intended all men to be created equal. And he never
gave up struggling for that freedom."
3. I had traveled here to Henson's last home -- now a historic site that Carter formerly
directed -- to learn more about a man who was, in many ways, an African-American Moses.
4. Josiah Henson is but one name on a long list of courageous men and women who
together forged the Underground Railroad, a secret web of escape routes and safe houses that they used to liberate slaves from the American South.
5. By night he was a "conductor" on the Underground Railroad, helping people slip by
the slave hunters.
6. As the boat slid acrothe river, Parker watched helplessly as the pursuers closed in
around the men he was forced to leave behind.
7. At times he sheltered as many as 17 fugitives at once, and he kept a team and wagon
ready to convey them on the next leg of their journey.
8. On one occasion, Levi Coffin was transporting so many runaway slaves that he
disguised them as a funeral procession.
9. In the North, a magistrate might have imposed a fine or a brief jail sentence for aiding
10. With no road signs and few maps, they had to put their trust in directions passed by
word of mouth and in secret signs -- nails driven into trees, for example -- that conductors used to mark the route north.
11. Making the best of his lot, Henson worked diligently and rose far in his owner's regard.亨森非常认命，干活勤勉，深受主人器重。
12. He gave Henson a dollar and arranged for a boat, which carried the slave and his
family acrothe river to Canada.
13. Despite this, he argues, there is still much left to be done before they enjoy full
UNIT3The Land of the Lock锁之国
1. Statistics show the crime rate rising more dramatically in those allegedly tranquil areas
than in cities.
2. It has been replaced by dead-bolt locks, security chains, electronic alarm systems and
trip wires hooked up to a police station or private guard firm.
3. It is not uncommon, in the most pleasant of homes, to see pasted on the windows small
notices announcing that the premises are under surveillance by this security force or that guard company.
4. Who is going to make the psychic payment for the transformation of America from the
Land of the Free to the Land of the Lock?
5. Why are we having to barricade ourselves against our neighbors and fellow citizens,
and when, exactly, did this start to take over our lives?
6. Airports are no longer a place of education and fun; they are the most sophisticated of
7. Our neighborhoods are bathed in high-intensity light; we do not want to afford
ourselves even so much a luxury as a shadow.
8. We are fearful, and so we devise ways to lock the fear out, and that, we decide, is what
9. What sadder reflection on all that we have become in this new and puzzling time? 还有什么更为可悲地表明我们在这个令人困惑的新时代所感受到的惶恐之情呢？
10. We have become so smart about self-protection that, in the end, we have all outsmarted
11. In dealing with the unseen horrors among us, we became prisoners of ourselves. All of
us prisoners, in this time of our troubles.
UNIT4Was Einstein a Space Alien?爱因斯坦是外星人吗？
1. She was getting older and frail, and she didn't approve of his marriage to
Mileva.Relations were strained.
2. He argued that light came in little bits (later called "photons") and thus laid the
foundation for quantum mechanics.
3. He described his theory of special relativity: space and time were threads in a common
fabric, he proposed, which could be bent, stretched and twisted.
4. With nothing better to do, he developed his Theory of Universal Gravitation.
5. His ideas, we're told, were improbably far ahead of other scientists.
6. All of his 1905 papers unraveled problems being worked on, with mixed success, by
7. He didn't resist being told what to do, not so much, but he hated being told what was
8. Einstein was clearly intelligent, but not outlandishly more so than his peers.
9. Later in life, it should be remembered, he struggled mightily to produce a unified field
theory, combining gravity with other forces of nature. He failed.
10. Although Einstein's five papers were published in a single year, he had been thinking
about physics, deeply, since childhood.
11. But Einstein's brain looked much like any other, gray, crinkly, and, if anything, a trifle
smaller than average.
UNIT5Writing Three Thank-You Letters写三封感谢信
1. Well, as any cook knows, it's a lot of hard work to cook and serve a big meal, and
clean up and put everything away.
2. I decided first to go out on the Murzim's afterdeck for a breath of open air. I made my
way out there, breathing in great, deep draughts while walking slowly about, still wearing my white cook's hat.
3. It must have taken me a half hour to sense that maybe some key to an answer could
result from reversing the word "Thanksgiving" -- at least that suggested a verbal direction, "Giving thanks."
4. After a while, like a dawn's brightening, a further answer did come -- that there were
people to thank, people who had done so much for me that I could never possibly repay them.
5. The embarrassing truth was I'd always just accepted what they'd done, taken all of it
6. The more I thought about it, the more ashamed I became.
7. And briefly I recalled for each of them specific acts performed on my behalf.
8. For instance, something uppermost about my father was how he had impressed upon
me from boyhood to love books and reading.
9. My love of books never diminished and later led me toward writing books myself. 我对书籍的热爱从未减弱，日后还引导我自己撰文著书。
10. So many times I have felt a sadnewhen exposed to modern children so immersed in
the electronic media that they have little or no awareneof the marvelous world to be discovered in books.
11. I reminded the Reverend Nelson how each morning he would open our little country
town's grammar school with a prayer over his assembled students.
12. I thanked her for the years of eating her good cooking, the equal of which I had not
13. We unloaded cargo, reloaded with something else, then again we put to sea in the
routine familiar to us, and as the days became weeks, my little personal experience receded.
14. I wept over the page representing my Grandma's recent hours invested in expressing
her loving gratefulneto me -- whom she used to diaper!
15."In the end we are mightily and merely people, each with similar needs."
16. First, I wish for us, of course, the simple common sense to achieve world peace, that
being paramount for the very survival of our kind.
We have a problem with the computer system, but I think it’s fairly minor.
My father died when I was too young to live on my own. The people of my hometown
took over (responsibility for) my upbringing at that point.
The toys have to meet strict/ tough safety requirements before they can be sold to
Radio and television have supplemented rather than replaced the newspaper as carriers
of news and opinion.
When it comes to this magazine, it is/ carries a digest of articles from many
newspapers and magazines around the world.
6. 虽然受到全球金融危机后果的巨大影响，但是我们仍然相信我们能够面对挑战，克服危机。 Though greatly affected by the consequences of the global financial crisis, we are still
confident that we can face up to the challenge and overcome the crisis.
Under threat of constant sand storms, we were compelled to leave our cherished
village and move to the new settlement.
According to a recent online survey, a lot of consumers say they may be motivated to
consider buying products shown in TV commercials.
Having spotted a truck driver dumping contaminated waste alongside the river, the old
man reported to the police at once.
Some scientists hold to the firm conviction that people will come to like genetically
modified crops someday since they can increase yields and help combat hunger and disease in the developing world.
The Internet is changing the way people live, whether they are in urban or rural areas.
Medium-sized and small companies are more vulnerable to the threat of the global
economic crisis than large ones.
13. 关于期末论文，教授要求我们先分析失业图表，然后对国家的经济发展提供批评性的见解。 With regard to our term paper, the professor asked us to analyze the unemployment
chart first, and then provide critical reflections on the nations economic development.
It never occurred to him that their team would win the basketball match by a large
Looking back on my twenty years' teaching in high school, I attribute my succeto
patience, talent, and the constant pursuit of knowledge.
The volunteers sent/assigned by the Red Crodisinfected, with great caution, the
drinking water in the village so as toavoid an outbreak of plague.
Einstein spent many years trying to unify the theories of electromagnetism and gravity
Professor Wang received/won the Presidential Award for his excellence in stimulating
students' creative imagination.
As there were some major design flaws, the board of directors didn't approve of the
economic stimulus package.
Having realized that nobody could help him,Jordan finally came to the conclusion that
he had to face reality and take up the challenge by himself.
Grandma took it for granted that food prices would soar, so she bought a lot of rice.
I can quote you several instances of her dedication to science.
The 1980s saw the start of the swift development of some special economic zones in
Tension between the two countries stemmed in part from the latest spy affair.
Peter has worked in a law firm for many years. You can consider having him as your
lawyer to act on your behalf when you need legal help.
2. 现在，政治、社会和创造意识的觉醒似乎不是凭借大学的助力，而是冲破其阻力才发生的。当然，一点不假，高等教育仍然重要。例如，在英国，布莱尔首相几乎实现了到2016 年让50％的30 岁以下的人上大学的目标（即使愤世嫉俗的人会说，这是要把他们排除在失业统计数据之外）。
3. 我从没指望通过上文学理论课来了解我这一代人的特征，或了解美国大学在如何变化。这门课是让你在课堂上扮酷的——带着一丝熬夜太多的困劲儿，穿着一件T 恤衫，上面印着“去过那儿，干过那事儿，对，这就是那件T 恤衫”，或诸如此类带有揶揄意味的俏皮话。
4. 我们这一代人来自所谓的短世纪（1914－1989），生于其后期。这个世纪充满了战争和革命，它改变了人类文明，推翻了强权政府，给我们留下了非同寻常的机会和特权。我们所得到的机会与特权比从前任何一代人都要多。 5
1. Instead of resolving contradictions, the series of measures taken by the government gave rise to more violent clashes. The Opposition formed an alliance with the trade unions and launched a general strike, which ultimately brought about the downfall of the government.
2. Nowadays, the gap between the university and the real world is shrinking and students are becoming more and more practical. Gone are the days when the university was an ivory tower in which scholars pursued knowledge as an end rather than a means to an end.
3. I never hoped to learn the subject well by attending those lectures. But I did go to lectures, for it was the place where I could get the important points of the course and learn how to organize materials and how to reason.
4. Although I have been trying every means to solve the problem, I cannot work out a satisfactory solution. But when I went to the kitchen to get a drink, something clicked and made me realize that the solution might be quite simple.
1. The moment I saw those old photos in the drawer, tears welled up in my eyes, for my memory went back to the days when I lived happily with my grandparents, my parents and my brothers and sisters.
2. When a student slipped on a pool of water and fell over, people’s reaction diverged from one another. Some approached caringly to see if he was hurt and if they could help; some just stood there confusing over what to do about it; while others just tuned out.
3. Last Saturday morning, I did the usual and went shopping in the supermarket. When I was about to open the door of my car, I found that I did not have my wallet on me. I could do nothing but go back home in search of it, but I failed to find it anywhere.
4. When I was a second grader, one of my classmates got a red radio-controlled toy car as a birthday gift. The rest of us could only admire, but could not imitate, because the car was expensive and was bought in Hong Kong, a place which seemed to us as far away as New York at that time.
5. These are important documents, the content of which should be kept strictly confidential. If you need to dispose of them, you must shred them or tear them up instead of throwing them out with the trash.
6. Nowadays, white-collar crimes such as forging checks, ID cards and credit cards have become very common. Though we have learnt much about how to prevent ourselves from being cheated, it seems that we could be its victims at any time.
7. It has been several months since the earthquake. Life has returned to normal, and people are busy going about their business. But there is no escaping the fact that the mental trauma the earthquake brought to people will never be wiped out.
8. Why does it matter that a library has many new books and electronic resources readily available to the readers? This is because if so, the scholars know the latest development in their own fields and know whether their research is valuable.
1. So sudden, so striking was the news that I sat motionleon sofa for a few minutes. My first instinct was to call our leaders to tell them what had happened and see what we could do for those colleagues who died or got injured in this traffic accident.
2. Paper books for children have an enormous advantage over e-books. For children, a beautifully printed paper book is not only a book but also a toy they can play with. Reading a paper book is rather different from reading a book on the screen.
3. In recent years, traditional media are in the tendency of decline and new media are developing rapidly. However, this does not necessarily mean that traditional media have lost the market. When it comes to reading things like news, people are still used to such traditional media as newspaper.
4. With the explosion of the financial crisis, many enterprises find themselves in difficulties. For those who have no circulating fund to invest in new production and would not let the vicious circle continue, the only thing they can do is turn to government for help.
9. He cried his heart out when he heard that he was not in the list of the school team. After all, he had gone through months of hard training and grueling competition, and had learned how to shoot with great skill and accuracy.
10. The coach, who was known for his strictness, had meant from the very start for all the players to shut out all the distracting thoughts and push themselves beyond their limits to ensure that they win a medal at the 29th Olympic Games held in Beijing.
11. Since after he took over the team, the new coach has always borne in mind his mission and finally made it to the championship of the league matches. When interviewed, the coach was at a lofor words because of excitement.
12. Football is an amazing sport. Despite the fact that most finals are 0-0, 1-0 or 2-1, people keep flocking to see football fames. For me, it remains a mystery what is so attracting about football.
1. The burglars were throwing the stolen items to the pickup and were just about to drive away when the guards watching over the living quarters found them and called the police.
2. The three soldiers had walked with difficulty through the woods for a whole day, trying to navigate to the east bank of the river, only to find that they had been circling in the woods and were still dozens of miles short of their destination.
3. It seems to me that the scholar who talked about animal intelligence this morning has obviously overestimated the animal intelligence. She went so far as to suggest that chimpanzees can communicate with humans through computers.
4. As volunteers, what we need to do is not just limited to smiling to those who come to us for information and help. We must also learn skills for cross-cultural communication, without which our performance cannot be satisfactory.